Shopping Second Hand

Shopping Second Hand

Theology in the Trenches

By Kathleen Kjolhaug



Shopping second-hand is a hobby to many.  It’s a life-line of savings, an opportunity to have a little something that one may not otherwise afford.  One such opportunity came my way this past summer.  I found myself mid-floor of a small second-hand store in Wyoming.  My heart pounded with the anticipation of finding a bargain, and I was soon on the hunt!  Before long, I had a few finds within my fists…one being a black dress.



Every woman must own a little black dress, but as I don’t like the descriptive word “little,” I’ve never owned one.  However, this dandy fell from the hanger with plenty of room to spare.  I like a comfortable fit and anything too confining is never purchased.  This baggy black unit went well below my knees, the neckline just below my earlobes, and it had no formal fit whatsoever.  I loved it!  A thin chord of matching material hung from each side allowing me to form a makeshift belt.  It was tied loosely in order to ensure the shift like frame maintained its comfortable fit.



Into my closet it did go.  In fact, I forgot all about it.  I forgot all about it, that is, until one day while flipping through my closet, digging desperately for something to wear for an upcoming wedding, I spied my “little” black dress.  With only two days to spare before we were to attend, I decided I’d use what I had and packed the dress. 



Tossing it atop my luggage, I began bragging to our oldest about the deal I’d gotten on black beauty!  As I picked it up, certain he’d want to know each and every detail about it, I noticed the white tag tucked into the back neckline.  In bold black letters upon that little silk tag the one word pretty much said it all.  It read “maternity”!  My wise son was mute and while arching one eyebrow, let no words escape from his smirking lips.



Lord, I was perfectly content with black beauty until it was labeled.  It turned out, according to the label, to be something I didn’t initially think it was.   Just one little name…just one little label, and the view of my world changed.  Funny how content I was before I read someone else’s interpretation of what it was supposed to be.  Labels sure do change one’s perspective.   Just one little tag casting light on someone or something and it changes one’s perception forever. 



Help me to fess up when I’m the one intentionally or unintentionally doing any labeling. You say in Matthew 5:9, “Blessed are the peacemakers.”  It’s not just the absence of war but it is confessing that which we’ve done wrong and it means building up the body instead of tearing it down.  And, since you died for all, I guess that body you’re talking about pretty much means every single human being on this planet.  It’s intentionally spreading peace instead of rumors of war.  “Forgive us for our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.” (Matt. 6:12)  Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts