There's A Beer in the Garbage


There’s a Beer in the Garbage

Theology in the Trenches

by Kathleen Kjolhaug

 

This piece was written several months ago. The time seems right to submit it.

 
Hunting season was upon us, and as usual, when hunters arrive, they bring a six pack or two to the hunting cabin. They do this so those who choose to might enjoy a beer. They do not bring a case, they do not bring hard liquor, and their intent is not to over indulge. When evening comes, they stop over to the house and those of age have a beer. It’s the only time of year this happens, and my distaste grows each time it does.

 
The words “stumbling block” come to mind. After all, in Romans 14:13 it says that we should not put a stumbling block in our brother’s way. 1 Corinthians 8:9 also warns us to be careful so that our freedom does not cause others with weaker conscience to stumble. This brings up the fact that there are many things in this world that I do that could be a stumbling block, so why pick this particular topic? Perhaps the answer lies in the question. What if “just one” is just one too many for some down the family line?

 
When I was younger, I did not think like this. Now, as a mother, wife, and generational torch bearer, my distaste for alcohol increases by the year. There is usually the argument that surfaces which says, “After all, even Jesus turned water into wine.” I know the story well, and Biblically speaking, it’s true. He never said to not enjoy the fruit from the vine, but he did warn us about too much of a good thing. I do not believe it’s sin to utilize it responsibly and legally; I just don’t know at what level it is ever OK without sending mixed messages to the next generation that may or may not be able to handle it.

 
The harm it brings to families often adds to existing problems. Whether it’s under age consumption that is accessed, or whether it’s adding a depressant to an already depressed state of mind, it skews judgment. Whether it’s increasing temptation in a situation where alcohol is present…it’s harmful. It destroys relationships and scars generations. It removes dads and mothers from families emotionally, and at some point, it began with just one seemingly harmless drink that led to another and still another while creating dependency rather than enjoyment.   

 
I dare say that even though my husband and I do not agree on this topic, I do believe we are getting closer to understanding one another. Case in point:  It was between hunting weekends, and as the weather turned cold, my husband was asked to clear out the hunting cabin by bringing into our home any possible perishable items. Amongst the items cleared were a few bottles of beer. He placed them in a corner in his office, and I never thought twice about them until…

 
A trip to the grocery store took longer than anticipated, and upon returning, I noticed that my husband was on supper duty as well as clean up after his long day of work on the farm. As I took over, he went into the other room to relax. That’s when I noticed it. I glanced down into the garbage, and there was one lone empty beer bottle. That’s when I went into action.

 
When he wasn’t looking, I made my way into his office where the remaining bottles were stored, brought them into the bathroom, opened each, and dumped each one down the drain. Next, I strategically placed each empty bottle in a pile near the back door so when he passed by, he could not help but notice. I waited. Sure enough, about an hour later, he poked his head around the corner and demanded, “What happened to all those bottles on the back porch?”

 
I quickly responded, “I drank them, all of them…every single one!” Needless to say, the next morning as we discussed the fall out, he knew full well that I hadn’t, but he also knew well my anger towards something that I’m not even sure as to what I get so angry about.

 
We struggle in a world where just a little doesn’t seem so bad. Then, when a little turns out to be a little too much, there are consequences. When we turn to this instead of You, dear Lord, it can be harmful. If I remember right, you were on your knees in Gethsemane, not at the local pub drowning your fears. Let us be as mindful so the generations following will have no doubt about whom it is we serve…not based on what we do or do not do, but to whom we turn to in our joys and to whom we turn in our hour of need. In thought word and deed, may we be one with You. Amen.

 

Comments

Popular Posts