Sins of Omission


Sins of Omission

Theology in the Trenches

by Kathleen Kjolhaug

 The information in the sermon was note worthy: 1.2 million babies aborted every year.  Every twenty-six seconds an abortion takes place. Less than 3% of them take place due to health related issues. Most completed are because the pregnancy is an inconvenience.

 These “wrong doers” can easily make us sit up and point a finger or two… but wait… not so fast.

 If faith comes by hearing…have those choosing abortion heard? Have I told? Have I spread the “Good News” where I’m called? Or, am I just hanging tight to the cushions in my comfort zone?

 “Go, therefore, and make disciples baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” (Matt. 28:19). If that is His command for me, have I done that?

 Perhaps the one aborting has no relationship because I have not proclaimed the Gospel where it needed to be proclaimed.

 

·        Perhaps there’s disobedience leading to abortion because there lacks a relationship because I was remiss in inviting another to hear His word.

·        Perhaps there’s disobedience leading to this particular sin choice because there is lack of faith because there is lack of a relationship because I was remiss in inviting another to hear the word...or remiss in striking up a conversation to share it.

·        Perhaps there’s disobedience here because there is lack of trust because there is lack of faith because there is lack of a relationship because I was remiss in inviting another to hear the word...or remiss in sharing it…or remiss in my prayer for another.

·        Perhaps there’s disobedience in the life of another because there is lack of trust because there is lack of faith because there is lack of a relationship because I was remiss in inviting another to hear the word...or remiss in sharing it…or remiss in my prayers…or remiss in loving my neighbor as myself.

So the obvious stone throwers can be any of us when discussing topics of sin choice. Perhaps we should look at a sin choice that’s a bit more palatable…you know…the kind that’s a bit more socially acceptable.

 Let’s just say that this time the disobedience leads to the sin of pride. Now that’s not so bad…right? I mean, nobody really likes it, but we can put up with it. It’s not as nasty as abortion. After all, this one only leads to boasting of self…making anything good in us, about us…rather than Him. Putting ourselves on the throne instead of Him, that’s not all that bad. Idol worship of self…due to lack of faith perhaps because I was remiss in inviting another to hear the word…

 Maybe next time the disobedience leads to gossip. Rejection of others via lack of love isn’t all that awful. Right? I mean, others are at it and I just want to fit in, so why not? A word spoken here, a false accusation there, no big deal. This disobedience which stems from the lack of trust, which stems from lack of faith, which stems from lack of relationship could all transpire because I was remiss in inviting another to hear the word...or remiss in my prayer for them…or remiss in my loving them as I have been called to do.

 I hate abortion, but I wonder what part I have to play in it? I wonder if I’ve truly loved my neighbor as myself because after all, that’s all You ask of us. Whether I am called to invite others to hear it, to proclaim it myself, or to put it into action through prayer, help me to do what You ask so “that they may have life and have it abundantly” (John 10:10).  Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts