Upside Down on the Fence


Upside Down on the Fence

Theology in the Trenches

By Kathleen Kjolhaug

 
It was just hanging there, the bench that is, upon the fence…upside down. Several weeks ago it had been intentionally plopped there for lawn mowing purposes. However, once strategically placed, it remained as such for no reason at all.

The seasons transitioned as it rested precariously upon the round wooden posts through the final gatherings of garden goods. The last of the bonfires had been lit, young adults packed themselves up dashing off towards new adventures, newborns returned for first time farm visits, and hay bales arrived by the truckload while the bench remained poised upside down on the fence.

Frost clipped flowers took their final breaths sucking color from palates upon the porch. Leaves died and rose with piles raked as the first snow fell, hinting at what lay in wait. Yet, through it all, there hung the bench…upside down on the fence.

The poetic metaphor called each day as I passed by.  I know exactly how you’re feeling, were my thoughts as I came and went from the farmyard. It’s just that I’m right side up and on the move. Truth-be-told it sort of replicated life at the moment. I thought about how lucky this solid object was to place its footings in the air and just hang there all stubborn like...unable to move because it couldn’t, or wouldn’t, or flat out didn’t feel like it. 

It was a Rembrandt in the making as far as I was concerned, yet my little upside down on the fence bench held a tender balance. If shoved slightly in one direction or the other, it would topple. With a little guided help, its world could be righted and that wooden bench upon the rail could again support others rather than merely supporting itself.

I suppose we all feel, at times, like hanging upside down on a fence…if for no other reason than to do something a bit out of the ordinary. After all, it makes for interesting scenery and landscapes while offering a bit of artistic freedom.

And so, I ask, what’s your upside down on the fence sort of view these days? I’d love to hear…and we shall talk. E-mail me if you wish at wemenews@gvtel.com.

Psalm 139:14 inspires. “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your words are wonderful, I know that full well.”  Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts