Lucky You...Lucky Me...


Lucky You…Lucky Me

Theology in the Trenches

By Kathleen Kjolhaug

 
Lucky you with house blocking views; apparently our walls are transparent.
“Yes, that’s my mamma. No, she went to bed when I did. It wasn’t her you saw.”

Lucky you your parents came. I’m sure mine will next time…at least I hope so.
“Can I get a ride home? If you drop me off on the corner, I can walk the rest of the way.”

Lucky you can cut those long locks and strands haven’t fallen from illness.
“I made a wish. It was fun and all, but now I just wait and wish I’d get better.”

Lucky you can buy without that card my mamma has to swipe…again and again.
“Mamma said she paid it. Isn’t my name on the list teacher? Do I get a snack today?”

Lucky you heard that vocabulary growing up; the words spoken in my home aren’t on the tests.
“I didn’t even try. Who cares anyway? I just clicked…whatever.”

Lucky you were spoken to and not yelled at.
“No…I don’t need a prom dress. It’s okay…no I really didn’t want to go anyway.”

Lucky you…another name brand purse? I don’t like the likes of them anyway.
“I know this shirt shows a little too much Mr. Principal, but it was only $3 and the other was $5.”

Lucky you the water in your home isn’t orange; my hair didn’t used to be either.
“That smell you smell really is my cat…really…sorry about that.”

Lucky you walk steadily down the street; I had no say when mama ingested the forbidden.
“Can I come to your birthday party? Oh, I know…there’s only so much room; I understand.”

Lucky you your daddy has a job. Mine is still looking.
“I used to like sleeping in the car. Mamma says it’s an adventure, but I’m tired of adventures”

It seems like I fall short so many times in so many ways.

And so I cling. I cling to that which is His.

“For all…fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by His grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus” (Romans 3:23-24).

I fall short. I am justified. I am free. I am redeemed. And in truth that is all that matters. Lucky me...lucky me.  Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts