Germans have a hard time dancing like a Norwegian...

Dancing Around the Peripheral
Theology in the Trenches
by Kathleen Kjolhaug

German roots have I. Blunt and to the point is how I converse. Growing accustomed to this by others is easier said than done, literally. One could say it easy enough, but it has undone many a conversation more oft than not.

However, my husband comes from Norwegian stock, and they prefer beating around the bush. Tap dancing around the peripheral is what I call it. Minnesota nice perhaps is another familiar term. Still, others might call it tactful. I guess it could be all of the above.

So, what’s my point? To be perfectly blunt and in no uncertain terms I ask, “What on earth are we thinking these days?”

Forbes made their big announcement one day about the value of a woman who had invested in a company which had developed some sort of new blood test. She was worth four billion plus when the news broke. One year later, it was discovered that this particular test was not as successful as all had hoped, and according to today’s news, Forbes had reevaluated her net worth. “Zero is her value,” the announcer on the radio chirped.

One minute she was top of the heap and the next minute, trashed. Just like that. The world had held her up and had spit her out just as quickly and as I listened, I was ashamed. I was ashamed that I was listening to such nonsense. I was ashamed that the world in which we live passes that off as news. I was ashamed that there were no intonations of compassion, no voice raised on behalf of dignity for a fellow human being, and no indication that this woman was now nothing more than a scoffing disdained piece of yesterday’s news trashed by the measuring rod of what the world esteems.

Nowhere did I hear, “the rest of the story” so to speak. I wanted to ask the radio broadcaster if the riches to rags woman was okay. I wanted to ask him if she now owed a bunch of money that she had spent because she thought she had money, only to find out a little later she didn’t. I wanted someone to speak on behalf of the woman who now had “no value.” I wondered if she still had her family and was able to enjoy that part of her life. I wanted to know if she had any value other than cash, and mostly, I just wanted to know if she was alright.

This isn’t the only example of such folly lived out each minute of every day around the world of noteworthy news. It infiltrates 24/7 across television, radio, or the internet. In order to satisfy the feeding frenzy hooks, lines, and sinkers are put out to bait. Lures used come in many forms and each one intentionally placed to capture consumers.

News comes with a price. The price paid is that we are sold products and more gossip than ever before. Often-times it is so subliminal that we don’t even realize we are hooked on the high drama until the next dramatic news events unfolds before us. Soon, we are numbed through continuous overdosing and we’ve missed out.
We’ve missed out on time needed to be spent with the little ones in front of us. We’ve missed out on time needed to be spent with our neighbors. We’ve missed out on an intentional plan for the money we’ve earned because we’re so busy chasing after what the advertisements of the high drama put into our heads.

Debbie downer I do not want to be, but intentionally drawing attention to the awareness of what truly matters, matters to me. I hope it matters to you too…and so I share…my thoughts.


“Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable…if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things” (Philippians 4:8).  Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts