Authentically Speaking...

Authenticity
Theology in the Trenches
by Kathleen Kjolhaug

Writers need be authentic, honest, and give voice to their passion, so I’ve read. Skating across the frozen ponds might offer safety, beauty, and a rapid progression of events, but authenticity makes way for connection at deeper levels and perhaps a bit of balm for others who have not the platform to express.

Although I like ice-skating, what I enjoy even more is tap-dancing. The feel of rhythm moving from toe to head; it satisfies. A time or two I’ve put them on, tap-shoes that is, and tapped my way into the hearts of small children trying to gain a smile along the way. I’m no professional. In fact, I’ve only had one lesson in my life, but that didn’t deter. It was a holy mess when I clicked and clacked away, but the children knew no different. It brought a little joy during the flurry of activity. I like joy.

Back to authentic. Authentic does not mean perfect; it means real. It offers a certain amount of transparency which brings with it honesty. Honesty speaks of that which we are. After all, we are mere mortals trying to make our way through life. We are humans who happen to need a hand here, some encouragement there, a voice of reason that builds, and perhaps a bit of word to word resuscitation to help revive.

So, authentically speaking, what is it I’d like to give voice to? What is my passion at hand? What topic is on my mind that I don’t want to glide across or tap dance around? It’s the same, actually, yesterday, today, and tomorrow. It’s the heart to heart truth that connects the ancient of days. It’s passion lived for once, for all, for One, for all. It’s life giving, life breathing. It’s His Word. It goes forth to do what it does best. As it has its way, it finds its way into the narrow marrow between sinew and bone. I like that. It carries, sustains, builds muscle, and helps make sense of a world that often looks unrecognizable day to day, minute to minute.

It, the Word, which would be His Word, gives true definition to authenticity, honesty, and passion. John 1:1 doesn’t tap dance around anything. It never changes, this wisdom of ages.

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.”

He wrote it, I need not. Read for yourself. Directing, supplanting, growing us deep is His Word.


John 1:14 says, “And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only-begotten Son of the Father, full of grace and truth.”  Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts