Closet Thoughts...

Closet Thoughts
Theology in the Trenches
by Kathleen Kjolhaug

An odd thought passed through my mind as I dug about my closet today trying to order the array of disorder within. Quite vivid it was; it went something like this.

When I die, my daughters will be digging through this very closet and they will finally have the final say as to what it is I’m going to wear!

More thoughts quickly followed.

Will an argument ensue? Will they go buy me something new because they never like what’s in my closet…unless they do…and now it’s in theirs? Do I have to tell my husband or leave it in writing? Better yet, should I box up the outfit now… taping a note atop for all to see?

Preparing for eternity usually never includes that which you possibly might be grounded in…but I suppose it could. In fact, I’ve never told anyone this, but there is a pair of pumps shoe-boxed upon the top shelf in my closet, purchased for a mother-of-the-bride experience somewhere along life’s way. As I thought they looked just a bit too matronly, I shelved them.

I hung on to them because I thought that perhaps they were classy enough to be worn someday in the far future. I figured if anyone might look down upon me lying there, they’d be considered worthy enough for the job. Not only does the black pat-n-leather have a nice shine to it, but gently dotting the rim is a set of pearls (fake of course) lest we have buried treasure so to speak.

Perhaps these thoughts, these feelings, have settled in because this is the time of year when mom died. As the daylight hours are shorter, it’s a subtle reminder that seasons change. All sorts of seasons ebb and flow within as nature takes its course. We weather just has distinctly…albeit not so obvious.

Truth is, it’s important to acknowledge them…feel the feelings…and lay them at the foot of His cross lest they become our reality. Discerning His reality helps us to see things how He sees them and not how we perceive them to be.

Today, as I find myself yet fully alive here upon this earth, I look down at my feet clad yet in summer sandals. Moving eyes off of self, I see His Word laid out before me. Literally, it lies before me. A sheet of paper has fallen within the shelving unit of my desk and face up the computer generated verse says, “I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.” Gal. 2:20.


Perhaps I’d best check with Him on how He wishes to clad me in the transitioning of the interior and exterior seasons of life. To God be the glory both now and forever, Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts