Little Critters...Big Critters

Little Critters…Big Critters
Theology in the Trenches
by Kathleen Kjolhaug

Putting away the carload of goods that I’d grabbed from a grocery stop…was the task at hand. Restocking the cupboards brought much satisfaction as I’d been gone for a couple of weeks. As well, one of our own was home for a few days and that added to the excitement.

“Buy me some Jo-Jo’s,” came the request via text. To the Deli I went to select some of the potato wedges that had been their favorite since childhood. (Once upon a time they were called that…
thus, our code name.) A pleasure it was that something so simple could bring so much to the table…so to speak. As it was getting late, I grabbed a broasted chicken to go, and once home, we all dug into the feast upon the kitchen counter.

Chit-chat was all but over as the three of us went our separate ways. My husband headed out-of-doors, our son into the other room to catch up on some reading, and I unpacked my suitcases.

Back and forth between rooms, I went. Big doggy hunkered down next to her master as the two enjoyed the quiet of the evening. Soon, they too were up and on their way out the door.

As I bent down to pick up whatever it was that I thought I’d dropped upon the kitchen floor, the stagnant object appeared motionless at first glance. It took mere seconds to bring into focus a set of small feet and a tail that was moving like clockwork. In one fell swoop, I was up and out the door…hoping to find my outdoorsmen out-of-doors.

I’m no wildlife expert, but one species I know are rodents…namely, mice. And in all my years of these critters seasonally presenting themselves round and about the house, I’d never seen the likes of them in this position, ever.

The little thing was frozen mid-floor and other than the tiny trembling feet and the timekeeping tale, there was no movement at all. In one spot it did remain.

Ten minutes later, my farmer pulled into the yard with the tractor. Quickly updating him on the current climate mid-kitchen, he made his way into the farmhouse. Long gone I thought the little critter would be…so I made sure not a descriptive detail went untold. Believability is what I was after…that and a trap to set in place.

Rounding the corner from out-of-doors we skidded and to a full stop, we halted. There, still quaking on all fours it was. Whisking him up by the tail, Farmer walked to a distant field and made the deposit.

Today, I am thankful. I am thankful that when I find myself quaking in my boots that nobody comes along and tosses me mid-air into the nearest field to fend for myself…so far…

1 Corinthians 2:3 reminds. “I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling.”

There you have it. If He was with us…then He is with us still. His promises are new every day.

Psalm 23:5 goes even further. “You prepare a table before being in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.”

Did I mention there was a cat nearby the very location he tossed the little mouse?

I may not have a cat lurking round-and-about, but when enemies arrive either seen or unseen, He is ever present. In the midst of the fear and trembling, He is not only present, but He sets a table and anoints our heads with oil while our cups will overflow.  Amen.

“Oh yea…about that broasted chicken,” said farmer. “It’s gone. The dog ate it…right off the counter! Not a bone left!”

Comments

Popular Posts