When Mamas Mess Up
                                                        Theology in the Trenches
                                                          By Kathleen Kjolhaug

I’m reading a book, One Thousand Gifts, by Ann Voskamp.  Did I tell you that already?  If I did, you need…and I said need…to hear it again.  The book is called, One Thousand Gifts, and the author is Ann Voskamp.  It’s an amazing, poetic journey that takes your soul to the heights of truth, while increasing your lung capacity to a breadth you never knew existed.  The words weave into your soul like a vine preparing to bring forth only the best fruit from the harvest.  It runs deeper than any river of words I’ve ever swam in, and as one of my brood said, “You feel like you’ve had a word bath once you are finished reading.”

The threads laid bare are real, and once you enter into the breaking of bread with Ann, you do not know the author better…you know the Author of life better and how His word made manifest is a gift.  A thousand gifts…to be precise…and growing…

All that aside, the tiny thread that flaps in the air this morning brings with it a needle tip bearing truth.  You see, Ann shares a journey, and it is obvious that through circumstances beyond her mother’s control, her mother lost control.  And with it, Ann lost portions of a family unit that brought sadness beyond measure.

Step by step, Ann receives healing through giving thanks.  But again, I must tell you…this story is not about Ann…the story brings you squarely into the center of the persona of Christ.  It is deep…wonderfully deep.  In all my years of reading, I’ve never felt like literally diving into the pool of words I was reading. In this book I would literally do so if I could. 

Now…back to my needle pulling thread.  In spite of the trials and tribulations an imperfect world brings about…in spite of being raised in the midst of imperfect circumstances…in spite of the short comings of people all around, in spite of not being given an environment of perfection, the message is clear and truth rings out.  Our God reigns. 

So oft I try to bring the comforters…the big, soft, colorful, cozy love bundles tossed upon my brood offering care, and inspiration.  Sometimes those comforters are received, sometimes they are rejected, and sometimes those comforters actually do harm…even though they were never intended to do so.  God whispers to me in the midst of Ann’s words that when someone needs to be lifting weights in order to bear all things for Christ who strengthens…by tossing them a comforter…may weaken.

As I read One Thousand Gifts…and I am still lingering somewhere in the midst of chapter 5 or 6…I am gifted with the insight that in spite of my imperfect parenting…our God reigns.  When I put myself upon that throne, protecting my brood from the very things He needs to bless them with for strength…I play a role that was never intended…I play God.  May He strengthen those whom He loves for the days ahead…to bless those whom He needs to bless. 

Isaiah 26:3 (NKJV) acknowledges God's promise: “You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You.”  Amen.  

Comments

Popular Posts