Cement Footprints


Cement Footprints

Theology in the Trenches

By Kathleen Kjolhaug

 
The soft creamy mixture of sand and rocks spreading across the grounds of the children’s home helped form the concrete sidewalk. Set and ready to harden, it begins to do just that. Tiny tennies realize not the tender ground upon which they trod, and they leave lasting impressions. Just as they make their mark, the mixture settles once and for all. Forever the footprints are etched with the outline of that which settled upon the cement sidewalk.

 
I count…1,2,3,4,5…tiny shoe prints make their way in zig-zag fashion across the walkway. I continue counting…10, 11, 12. The prints are spaced evenly and embedded ever so slightly as if someone was walking on water. It looks as if they do so…just because they can. 18, 19, 20 and there it is, the final step…21. Then, the footsteps end and the little one who marched fearlessly forward, made it out. Where they trod today, I know not. And as I reflect, I believe they know not that they have left tiny footprints for all to see.

 
Passersby can see. If they look, they can see. If they seek, they will find because the footprints are there. Years go by, and the once tiny feet have no doubt grown … but forever the smaller sized shoe is embedded…making lasting impressions like fossils formed for the ages.

 
I pause and reflect. And, I wonder. Are my footprints formed anywhere for others to see? Do they make an impression worthy of catching the attention of others? Are they deep? Are they lasting? Can others follow? Would they even want to? Do my footsteps give direction? Are they on the right path? Are they on solid ground?

 
With each question asked comes His still small voice. He assures that indeed when they are His footsteps, they not only have direction, but they help give direction. And, not only are they on solid ground but truly on the right path, for He is the maker of forever footprints.

 
Proverbs 3:5-6 says, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.”

 
John 8:12 says, “Then Jesus said to them, saying. I am the light of the world: he that follows me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.”

 
Psalm 119:105 completes the thought:  “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.”  These are cemented footprints…forever footprints…forever and ever…Amen.

 

Anyone desiring more information about Homes of Life, feel free to e-mail me at wemenews@gvtel.com. 

Comments

Popular Posts