Spouting Off

Theology in the Trenches

By Kathleen Kjolhaug

 
The Styrofoam cup was placed strategically beneath the spout of the coffee machine in the hotel lobby by the time I arrived for a bit of breakfast. The five buttons on the machine clearly stated my choices. The two on the right were labeled “full” and “half.” Cool, I thought. This is the first machine I’ve seen that offers a choice of a half cup verses a full cup of coffee, I assumed. This is brilliant! Just when I thought I’d seen it all. Why didn’t I think of this? It certainly makes sense. The conversation sort of rattled on between my ears as I became energized with the fact that I’d soon get to press a button that would give me my half cup I’d always longed to order.

 
I pressed it. The other three buttons of choice were labeled A, B, and C. Hmmm, I thought, and not certain which one to press, I pressed “A.” After all, I liked getting A’s in school. I know it sounds like an odd way to make a decision, but all of a sudden the thought was just there. So, it sort of solidified my decision.

 
Feeling confident, I watched as the liquid began to fill. The liquid landed in the cup which was under the spout. So far so good, I thought. Odd thing though, the liquid wasn’t coffee brown and I began to wonder if the letter “A” that I’d pressed was meant for those who wanted  tea…or simply wanted hot water for mixing the instant packets of beverages lying around.

 
Trying not to make too much of a big deal out of it or reveal my feelings of a profoundly puzzling panic beginning to surface, I stood nonchalantly watching this clear liquid fill my cup. I waited for it to stop when it reached the half way mark because after all, I was smart enough to know what half and full meant even though my guessing at A, B, or C apparently wasn’t correct. Trouble was, it did not stop at half full. The water not only went past the half way mark, but filled the cup completely and soon, my cup runneth over.

 
In the next instant, I saw movement out of the corner of my eye as someone stepped in to shut off the machine. “Maam,” the concerned individual kindly stated, “This machine isn’t for cups of coffee. It’s for pots of coffee.” With the machine now shut off, a clerk jumped from behind the hotel counter and moved in to assist.

 
“Well,” I eagerly volunteered, “Someone might want to put a pot under that spout rather than a cup because it sure fooled me.” And, with a smile, I meandered clear across the lobby, far from the breakfast area, where apparently the coffee was ready and waiting.

 
Isn’t that just like our heavenly Father. He, too, is ready and waiting to fill our cups to overflowing.

 
Psalm 23:5-6 says, “You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies: You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over.”  Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts