A Funny Little Story


A Funny Little Story

Theology in the Trenches

By Kathleen Kjolhaug
 
And so it was…hunting season once again. Camaraderie at its best among hunters is simply part of the process. Rain or shine, early or late, sitting or standing, whatever it takes that is what hunters do. It’s part of the call of duty.

However, as the season wore on and with the deer in short supply, not to mention nowhere in sight, it did become a tad weary. With the added snow and cold temperatures came the equipment needed to survive for longer periods of time. With little time to prepare this year, over to the cupboard my number one hunter did go. He turned the stove on high and began to fill the tea kettle with water.

I thought perhaps he was readying a hot drink to take along, but I noticed his knees dipping down and hands reaching for something in the bottom cupboard. Soon, I saw it was just as I had suspected. He was going to fill up the coveted hot water bottle, my treasure, and take it with him to the stand…or wherever he was going to stand. Intrigue peaked, and as I asked, he offered. “It really does keep you warm out there.”

“Just don’t lose it,” I admonished. “I don’t think they even make those things anymore.” He promised he’d take good care of it, and off he went. He returned with no deer, but that was not my main concern. Eye contact was all that I needed for assurance that he’d not lost the hot water bottle. All was well.

A few days later the story broke, and it went something like this. “Climbing into the car with the hot water bottle in tow to keep warm from point A to point B was my goal,” he said. “But wanna hear what happened?”  Thus began his funny little story.

“I got out of the car, placed it just inside my coat, and headed to the deer stand. It was a quiet sit. The wind was whistling, and I was nestled in a spot that kept me just at bay of it. Even with little action, I enjoyed the sit because of that hot water bottle. I felt no threat of the cold, and I was able to withstand the temps for over two hours just because of its warmth. Man, I thought, this thing really works.”

“When it was time to go, I walked out of my stand and over to the truck. Just as I was about to get in, I looked down. There in the snow was my hot water bottle. It had fallen out as I’d gotten out of the car on the way to my stand!” Shaking his head with a smile on his face, he paused.

He let me visualize. I shook my head instead of my finger and spoke words of gratitude for not losing my hot water bottle because I don’t even think they make those things anymore.

And so it is. We all need a place to go, and sit, and stay warm. As we wait for the birth of our Savior during this Advent Season, please join in reading the daily devotional passages written by Louie Giglio. Order or download “Waiting Here for You, An Advent Journey of Hope.” Go to facebook and type Advent Book Club in the search box. Comment, like, or post your thoughts. Come as you are…early…late…it matters not. Stay a while…reflect…be blessed. Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts