Moonlight Madness

Theology in the Trenches

By Kathleen Kjolhaug

Rounding the corner in the store the other day, I spotted lush tinted towels perched upon the shelf. They were soft sea foam green in color and immediately, in my mind, they became part of our bathroom décor at home. As I saw the matching rugs strategically placed beneath them and counted only two, I felt lucky. Lucky because we needed three and the temptation to purchase them easily subsided.

Next up, deep red winter blankets folded in gift wrap style came into view. I wanted them all, each and every one. Color, color, color seems to be the key to catching my attention. Not knowing just who needs what yet for Christmas, I held off.

Soon, I spotted Christmas plates with cups to match…not to mention the table clothes, runners, and napkins with festive décor. I could just see the magazine like atmosphere gracing our table and was inspired by each and every glimmer before me. Like a kid in the candy store, I was enthralled! Speaking of which, I headed over to that isle too.

I managed to linger just a little too long in nut row and sure enough soon there were almonds, cashews, and pistachios in my cart as well. No small treat I might add, knowing their price tags these days. I told myself I could always put them back once at the checkout.

Just before landing at that final destination of that checkout lane, the scent of the candles caught my attention, and I was off in another world once again. Since I hadn’t splurged on the table cloth or dishes, rationalizing came easy when I thought about purchasing a candle or two. But, it was the cards beside the candles that soon became an even bigger distraction. Come to think of it, that’s why I was in the store to begin with. I picked up the beauty that my birthday girl would love, and as I turned it over, the ten dollar price tag made me gasp. Like a hot potato, I dropped it back into its slot. Love is said to not have a price tag, but I wasn’t sure I was ready to splurge…although if I put the nuts back, perhaps I could.

I thought about it for a few seconds, decided to keep the card where I’d found it, offer up the nuts to the cashier, and lighten not only my load but the final tab.

Matthew 6:21 reminds us that “where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” During this season of Advent which is just around the corner, may we prepare our hearts for that which is to come. May we take time to render ourselves available to Him as we prepare for the celebration of His birth. If anyone would care to join in the Advent book club, purchase or download “Waiting Here for You An Advent Journey of Hope” by Louie Giglio. Feel free to “friend” me on facebook and join in the conversation with others as they, too, prepare. Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts