Brass Fixtures and Popcorn Ceilings...



Brass Fixtures and Popcorn Ceilings

Theology in the Trenches

by Kathleen Kjolhaug

 
With news headlines on the hour carrying horrifying scenes from around the world dooming those who dare watch to sheer gloom, the wrong doers gained notoriety for their nasty deeds. “Really?” I commented. “Why is it that a few people can steal the show doing what they do?  Imagine all those who actually strive to make this world a better place and yet get little to no coverage at all. It takes one stupid act to make front page news and even that no longer shocks.”

Exercising our right to switch channels, we did just that, and kept on clicking. Soon, there it was…happy color, happy homes, and happy people getting new living quarters at home or abroad. Frozen with channel changer in hand, we watched walls being smashed, counter tops being demolished, and an entire make-over on the home front completed within the hour. It was heavenly…some action for him…happy endings for me…what more could a couple want? HGTV (Home and Garden TV) would not let the winter blues or the negative news get the best of us!

Searching his face to see if he was truly engaged in the programming or if he was simply appeasing me, I soon had my answer. “Brass fixtures? What’s wrong with brass fixtures? Isn’t that what we have?” He all but stumbled over his litany of questions.

“Yes,” I said not wanting to make my man feel inadequate. We’re keeping them so by the time they’re in style once again, we’ll be ready.” He nodded half heartedly.

Minutes later, he proved we was still tuned in and engaged in what was before us. “Popcorn ceilings? What are popcorn ceilings?”

With pointer finger in air, I made a swoop extending it upward and added one word. “Kitchen.”

“Oh.” He responded. “They mean texturing.”

I smiled and said, “I suppose they do.”

Perhaps it was at this point he wanted to change the channel back to the news. At least that wasn’t hitting quite so “close to home” so to speak. I could tell he was processing what he watched as he soon began making a short list of “to do’s” aloud.

“I suppose an electrician is where we should start. Paint is cheap, and the flooring upstairs needs to be redone. After that, we could start on the bathroom in the back.” I simply nodded knowing full well that it would take much longer to complete than the hour in which it happened upon the screen.

As Philippians 4:11-13 caught my attention…it was a gentle reminder. “I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.”  Paraphrased thoughts…to be content with popcorn ceilings or brass fixtures…with old carpet or finished floors…with one bathroom or two…Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts