Look Around...


Look Around

Theology in the Trenches

by Kathleen Kjolhaug

 

I’d gone to the chiropractor the day before and he said in no uncertain terms, “Walk. You need to make sure to do a lot of walking the next few days.” Two to three times he reiterated these words. And so I did.

Temps were below zero and so a walk indoors made more sense than to brave February in Minnesota out of doors. So too, I could keep one eye upon my favorite mid-winter pastime… watching a TV show where buyers roam the world looking for homes from Rome to the Caribbean. Feeling like a spec on the wall of the world while coveting what thy neighbor gets to do was not far from the reality advertising itself upon the screen. However, it did help pass the time as I walked.

As well, my eyes fell upon items within our home that I hadn’t noticed for quite some time. Changing décor too often isn’t my style; the stoic items used for decorating are parked for many a year. Shuffling them from place to place, from time to time, does occur; but, overall the items remain the same.

At first glance, I noticed words stitched upon cloth framed by mom many years ago. “Life is fragile, handle with prayer.” The large poetic workmanship encased in glass reflected warmth…and I continued walking.  There upon end table was perched grandpa’s black metal lunch pail splattered with paint. It spoke of hard work and no doubt that which grandma packed within was sustenance much appreciated.

Upon an upper shelf stood a photograph taken of an African child crouched upon beach. It was delivered with words spoken. “I told my friends that mom would love this one.” She knew right well I would and do. The small antique looking clock gifted one Christmas has hands frozen in time as batteries long ago lost power stands next to it. I look not for the hour, but rather remember the hour of gifting from the heart of a giver.

Upon chair, I read words. “Use the talents you possess for the woods would be very silent if no bird sang except the best.” For twenty years the hand-stitched pillow has remained constant. I remember well the sunlit day a friend made her way over to deliver the little beauty. It is sacred.

Wind chimes dangle above fireplace igniting memories of the exchange. A perchance e-mail requesting any item from a basement pile give away she’d read about. I pick one…the stranger and I meet for the first time. She receives a wooden chest, and I her hand made chimes. Hugs extended are remembered long after names forgotten. Grandchild photos covet a spot next to Haitian artifacts gifted from the heart of giver-artist. Both blend naturally into home décor while piercing soul. Next on the parade are smiles radiating joy from that which only Christ can offer within the framework of life long after graduates graduate.

I cast my eyes round and about finding evidence of that which we treasure. I need not travel far as that which we love and those whom we love have wrapped us in warmth this winter. Look around. Take a walk. Travel deep.

“And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me” (Gal. 2:20). Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts