I'm not in Favor of Cloning


I’m not in Favor of Cloning

Theology in the Trenches

by Kathleen Kjolhaug

I was cleaning one evening; one thing led to another and sooner than later, I happened upon a bunch of photographs.  Front and center was a picture of grandma, in her later years.  A beautiful woman inside and out, her eyes unearthed her heart.  It opened to many while planting seeds no matter the time of year.  Naturally gifted with a green thumb, kindness sprouted forth from words spoken bringing to fruition that which had been sown.

However, the beauty reflected was that she never demanded I be like her.  While pouring out gifts, allowing those around her to partake in the talents she offered…sewing, cooking, canning, gardening, quilting…she never once assumed that I do as she did. 

Grandma was wiser.  She chose to radiate pure Light by taking an interest in what it was that allowed me to be me.  She watered, fed, and nurtured to bring out the best in what was before her.  She asked questions about the things I was involved in.  She was silent so I could speak.  She opened up her heart, home, and life so I knew there was always room in it…no questions asked.  Never mind calls or letters might be months apart, she picked up the conversation as if it were yesterday inviting me once again into folds of deep love.

There was one grandma…there is one me…I have one child…and one more…and one more…
I have one grandchild…and one more…and soon, one more… And may none be me, as I am already.  May they be loved for who they are…uniquely made, “For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb” (Psalm 139:13).

I need not press the heaviness of my indelible fingerprints upon those whom He has already formed in His image and His likeness.  I need not clone myself.  Their identity will call them to pockets of love where they, too, will listen as others speak.

Oh, there are things we may pass on.  But pressure is not what will form.  Love will form…the Potter will form…His heart will form…His word will form…and as we watch that which was planted, bloom…may we enjoy.  May we enjoy His handiwork…not making it our own…that no man may boast.  To God be the glory great things He is doing.  Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts