A Chocolate Smudge on My Shirt

Theology in the Trenches

By Kathleen Kjolhaug

 

It wasn’t my fault that the chocolate smudge landed smack center on my newly purchased shirt. It was the guy at McDonald’s fault. He dripped the chocolate on the outer edge of the cup. Never before have I had to grab a napkin in order to swipe at chocolate stuck fast to my palm after each sip. It was either lick it or stick it to whatever I touched.

It wasn’t my fault my car made its way down the road rapidly while licking. After all, the phone call had come that we needed to be at our destination sooner than later. There was a meeting and siblings would not be able to meet up unless we sped up…just a bit.

It wasn’t my fault the car I drove felt like it was going 55 when in reality it wasn’t. As the conversation sped up between siblings and mom, so did the vehicle in which I was driving, unbeknownst to me. I just had no idea!

It wasn’t my fault that while speeding up that white car ahead of me came not only into view but pulled over to let me pass. Although nice of them to do so, it wasn’t my fault they didn’t have “Sheriff” written on the back of the vehicle but only on the side or I’m sure I would have slowed down much sooner. Why…how was I supposed to know?

It wasn’t my fault that I didn’t know a radar gun can clock a vehicle from behind. I just didn’t know. Who failed to teach me that? And, that would be someone else’s fault I didn’t learn that. I thought radar guns could only pick up cars in front of it or those passing by but I suppose that’s beside the point.

And, it certainly wasn’t my fault when he pulled me over and expected me to understand why he had done so. Why…I still had no idea! And to prove it, I took my hand, slapped it upon my newly purchased shirt and that chocolate smudged smack center. Why that officer never even knew that he caused me to wreck a perfectly good shirt.

His warning admonished me to pay closer attention, and with that I was given far more grace than I deserved. And in the end, it wasn’t my fault the officer extended mercy. Why, he flat out forgave me and trusted I’d do better next time.

Matthew 18:21-22: “Then Peter came and said to Him, Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Up to seven times? Jesus said to him, I do not say to you up to   seven times but up to seventy times seven.”

Now I full well doubt that the officer extends mercy to offenders each and every time, but today, he granted me just that and for that I am grateful. In turn, may I keep my eyes open to do like-wise for others. Romans 3:23-24 explains, “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus.” Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts