Why Mamas Get Mad


Why Mamas Get Mad

Theology in the Trenches

by Kathleen Kjolhaug

 

You might think, dear one, that I am crabbing at you more often than not. But truly, that is not what I mean to do…be mean that is. You see, we always seem to be in a hurry and there is no time to tarry. Tarry means that we take time to express our thoughts in order to have a civil conversation about what it is that’s on your mind and mine. And since there is little time, the time we do have in this overly busy world never seems long enough. 

Truth is…I’d like to know what’s on your mind. But the other side of that truth is…there must be times you’d rather not say. I remember well that feeling with my mama. At times she seemed so far removed from the world in which I lived. I needed to know she had my back. I needed to know she believed in me, and I needed her encouragement. But, I did not communicate to her what my needs were. Why? I am not sure. When I think about it, I didn’t know what I needed, nor did I know I needed her for that matter…until she was no longer here…and until I was a mama in this world without a mama.

Little did I know she longed to be invited into my world. I know this now because I’m a mama and I love it when you allow me into yours. I love it when you trust me enough to talk and accept guidance about this crazy world in which we live. When you were young, we simply sang to keep troubles away: “Be careful little eyes what you see…be careful little ears what you hear…” Keeping the world at bay was easy back then. As the years sped by demands from studies were met and many an involvement kept us hopping. Days quickly eroded into years, and as time washed away foundations from where you once stood, you drifted off to make your contributions elsewhere.

But your mama I will always be. Somehow it just works that way, and I want you to know that when you hear storm clouds in my voice, it is not because I am trying to dampen your hopes and dreams. It is not that I want to control, nor do I want you to merely please me. Rather, those rumblings that come from deep within are often times a sign that I simply need to be reassured.

You see, as a mama, I want to know that you will be safe. I want to know that those with whom you surround yourself are people who have your best interest in mind and not their own. I long to know that you love yourself enough to desire good things and that you know His desire is to give you just that…healthy, incredible beauty as you shine His light into this world.

Wisdom appears to be the key, dear one…as His words reveal blessings of wisdom:  

            Listen to what I say, and treasure my commands,

            Tune your ear to wisdom, and your heart to understanding;

            Cry out for insight, and ask for understanding

            Search for them as you would for silver, seek them like hidden treasures:

            Then you will understand what it means to fear the Lord; you will gain knowledge of God;

            For the Lord grants wisdom, from His mouth comes knowledge and understanding;

            He has counsel in store for those with integrity, He is the shield of those who walk honestly,

            Guarding the paths of the just, protecting those who are faithful to Him.   

            Then you will understand honesty, justice, and every good path;

            For wisdom will enter your heart, knowledge will fill you with joy,

            Wise choices will watch over you, understanding will keep you safe (Prov. 2:1-11).

Truth be told, I still have much to learn…especially in the areas of trust and listening to His voice over my own. He shows me my lack of it often, so rest assured, He is still working on your mama, too. One of my favorite passages is from 1Peter 4:8. “Love covers a multitude of sins.” For these I implore your forgiveness as they splash upon your footsteps from time to time.  

I love you forever. I love you big, and in my imperfection may you know that indeed He alone is God, and that I alone am simply your mama.  Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts