A Sight to Behold...


A Sight to Behold

Theology in the Trenches

by Kathleen Kjolhaug

 
They’d advertised across pulpits this past week; the announcement was simple.  “Anyone interested in joining the community choir for the Thanksgiving service, please come.”  I thought about it.  I can carry a tune, but I just don’t like people staring at me when I do…so I don’t…join a choir that is.  And this time it would be no different.

I sat staring at them because someone had to listen and listen I did.  Sure enough, I knew most of the members.  After thirty years, you just do.  My community stood before me and beholding was what I was, filled this eve with reflective thoughts. 

Staring back at me was one saint who helped our children through the ranks of reading.  Teacher was her trade, but heart captivator was her destiny.  The hearts she captured were those who passed through her classroom and because they did, they now extend their hearts to others.

To her left was another who’d helped tape many an ankle of my own brood at sporting events.  Private conversations whispered taught value to each and to this day, I hear kindness whispered about the love bestowed upon them from her genuine heart.

My eyes followed across the row of choir members, and I took note. The bank ladies who once upon a time had taken the time to help our little ones open accounts stood at attention.  Just over a bit was a neighbor who equipped us with farm fresh eggs, and another who helped with piano lessons custom made for little fingers.  Amidst the crowd was an acquaintance whose family supplied the source of heat to keep us all warm amidst the cold winter months, and nearby stood the farmer who not only helped feed the world but nourished us with solos at weddings and funerals creating community within ours.

Before me were pastors who fed and nourished the souls standing before them, tending gardens to help keep the weeds from getting too out of control.  The presence of the young college student taking time to pour back that which had been given, offered strength that rejuvenated.  In wisdom stood the church elder giving once again in voice, and the town’s one and only Elvis impersonator singing holy hymns.  Lo and behold there was the local band director who showed up to help build community although she lived an hour away and along with her in tow was her husband.  They simply gave because they could.

Each pastor stood to do their part…to impart upon us the wisdom of the ages.  They formed one body, one body in Christ.  One Ecumenical covering was what this community choir gave us, and it was a sight to behold.  In this sacred sanctuary, love showed up and all were blessed. The message rang true as His word united and bread broken filled those who partook.

“Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.  Whatever you have learned to receive or heard from me, or seen in me—put into practice. And the God of peace will be with you” (Philippians 4:8-9).  Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts