Edythe from Cavalier


Edythe from Cavalier

Theology in the Trenches

By Kathleen Kjolhaug

 
As I stepped foot onto the porch opening weekend of deer season, the sun overhead reflected warmth that pierced the soul. It was a rare extension of the fall season and I, like many others, was intent on making the best of it. With gear in tow, I was in search of my trophy.  It was bucks only this year, so I needed an alternative plan as there were not many around.  Into my vehicle I loaded my stuff, double checking to make sure all was accounted for.

On my way to take my stand, I passed many wearing the bonded bright orange.  They stood in groups of two, three, and four along the roadside.  I knew my destination, and it would not be along a road making plans. Nope, not me.  I kept my focus making a mental checklist:  Clothing…check.  Gas…check.  Bucks…at least several in sight.  Shoulder strap…check.  On I drove.

By the time I pulled up, any fears of running late were quickly alleviated as I observed others also just arriving.  Grabbing the items needed, I made my way in to where I was assured of one thing and one thing only.  Only bucks would be taken, and my heart was racing before I’d even begun to sight in that which I was looking for.  Today was opening hunting alright, and I was going to find my trophy at the annual craft sale a mere fifteen miles from where I’d begun my journey.

Shoulder strap in place, I knew my money would be secure until deciding to depart with it. I began the hunt in earnest.  With wall to wall vendors, I was sure I couldn’t miss. By the time I’d almost completed my rounds and coming into one of the final turns, I spotted Edythe.  Piled high upon her table were cozy, comfortable mounds of soft, warm fleece which would brighten anyone’s day.  Spotting the exact item I’d been looking for, I knew I’d found my trophy, handmade by Edythe.

I soon discovered that Edythe, from Cavalier, was 89 and in the blanket ministry.  Ministering by giving them to children in need was high priority.  Ministering as the Lord leads was her life’s calling, and this passion radiated from deep within.  From her gentle touch upon her blankets, to her humble engagement in conversation, Edythe’s love was shared this opening weekend of dear season. And, like the sun overhead, she reflected warmth that pierced the soul.

I got out my bucks and paid Edythe in full while assuring her that the high school students who were going to be auctioning it off for their good causes would appreciate every bit of her heart and handiwork that went into them.  I began to place the blanket over my arm in order to depart when Edythe gently took her hand and reached for another blanket. 

“Here,” she said, and placed it atop the blanket I was holding.

“Do they like horses?”  The subdued brown shading of wild horses contrasted nicely against the other blanket I’d chosen.  As I gasped, she quickly reached for a bright blue one, and yet another pink flowered one to complete the foursome of the good will giving by Edythe from Cavalier, North Dakota.

“I love my Lord,” she simply said as she grasped my hand. I could not help but draw comfort from Edythe as she lived out the words in song.

“So I’ll cherish the old rugged Cross. Till my trophies at last I lay down. I will cling to the old rugged Cross, and exchange it someday for a crown.”  Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts