Hoodlums in the park...

What is Your Deal?
Theology in the Trenches
by Kathleen Kjolhaug

“What is your deal? We’ve been home for days and haven’t seen hide-nor-hair of you. Where have you been? No doubt out and about per usual. The disrespect you have shown us young man is simply intolerable. You are grounded!”

“How long this time?” muttered the boy not yet into his teens. Soon he would be, and then things would be different around here. “After all, a man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do!”

Several years later…“So, now who are you hanging with. Really? I told you to stay away from those guys. Your father and I don’t know a one of their parents. What are you thinking? They tell us to take note once kids start hanging around with a new group of friends. So, here’s my warning. You be careful young man!”

“Just relax mom. I know you worry a lot but they’re really a pretty good group of guys. A bit rough around the edges they are, but overall, I enjoy being with them.”

Several years beyond the first several years…“What? You don’t want to take over the family business? What are we supposed to do now? It’s a good living son. We should have seen this coming; you’ve been drifting in and out for months. Your mind seems to be in another world. Is there anything wrong? It’s those guys you’re hanging with again, isn’t it. I knew they were nothing but trouble. Do they even have jobs? They look like a bunch of vagabonds to me.”

“I know you’re worried mom, but really, I’m just not feeling it. I’m sort of thinking about something altogether different. I gotta make my own mark on the world if you know what I mean.”

Several years beyond the several that were beyond the first several…“What are you doing here so late at night? I tell you, you get home right now! You’re going to be the ruin of me yet.”

“Mom, just go home and go to bed…I’ll be okay. Shhh, you’ll wake the others.”

“Wake the others? My goodness. You are all acting like a bunch of homeless people just sleeping out here in the park under the stars. I told you these kinds of guys would pull you down in the world. I told you. But oh no…you always knew better didn’t you. Can’t you see that I’m just trying to protect you? Do you always have to do it the hard way? What’s up with that? I am worried sick about you!”

A few hours later…“Oh my! You guys have the wrong guy! My son has done absolutely nothing! He’s been a good boy! I told him these hoodlums would lead him astray. It all seemed fishy to me, and now look at you, son. If you would have only listened to me, none of this would have happened.”

Several centuries and then some later…Had I been His mama…He never would have made it to the cross because I would have been so busy saving Him…He never would have had a chance to save you…or me.

“Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord’s word to her will be fulfilled. Then Mary said: ‘My soul magnifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior” (Luke 1:45-47).

Comments

Popular Posts