2000 Flushes!

2000 Flushes!
Theology in the Trenches
by Kathleen Kjolhaug

I was in the mood to save me a buck or two. Looking at the items on the list needing to be purchased, I promised myself the best of the best in any given category was not necessary. It was merely a weekend visit to the cabin, and so getting by would be good enough.

Paper towels, dish soap, milk, and bowl cleaner were spelled out in no particular order. Some of the items were a must, but the tablets to plop into the toilet bowl tank were not. Yet, the blue in the bowl that keeps on working when we are not at the cabin comforts me. There is a feeling of cleanliness that sort of sparkles within knowing the bowl will be germ free upon our return. It psychologically helps me feel better about my role as housekeeper of the place.

When I hit the isle in which this item is sold, the name-brand was about two bucks more than the off-brand. The least costly had a powerful label, “2000 Flushes…Blue plus Bleach!” Proud of my prudent plan to spend less, I placed it into the cart.

Finishing up with the rest of my purchases, I was soon out the door making my way back to the cabin. Once there, I put each item away and the last one was my 2000 Flush find. Lifting the heavy lid on the ceramic tank, I managed to carefully cut open the package which promised to kill 99.9% of all bacteria! Feeling quite satisfied with not only my purchase but with my standard of cleanliness, in went the round white solid tablet.

The large Alka-Seltzer look alike spiraled down to the bottom of the tank, and I waited in wonderment hoping to witness the bursting forth of color. Soon, the transparent water would change to a vibrant aqua blue. Honestly, it’s worth the investment just based on the feeling of happy it brings within.

As it kerplunked to the bottom and sat there, so did I...sat there that is. I waited a bit longer and with little to no change in the color of the water before me, I was perplexed. Quickly, I ran into the kitchen to find a long utensil in order to prod it along in the process. Plunging it into the toilet tank of water, the solid chunk of round stuff still did absolutely nothing. No color, no fizz, no nothing!

Grabbing the package in order to reread the label, I found myself wondering how someone could actually advertise this as “BLUE plus BLEACH!” While the 2000 Flushes might be accurate, the BLUE was nowhere to be had…and I had been had. Apparently, the printing of the words in blue ink was “honest enough” for them to sell a product dishonestly.

Philippians 4:8 reminds me on what it is I need to focus. “Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.”


And so, I think I’m thankful to have saved some bucks, thankful for 2000 flushes (although the tally marks have yet to be calculated) and thankful I own an extra place to keep clean.  Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts