Guest Columnist Nails It...

Letting God Do His Job
Theology in the Trenches
Guest Columnist Dianna Engelkes

Usually, my writings grow out of a thought or impression that follows me over the course of several days. Lately, I've been running so fast trying to keep up with life that a thought flies out of my head before it has a chance to take root. But for now, I'll let you in on something that did.

Go back with me several summers. We owned our small-town home only a short while but quickly fell in love with the idea of raising a family here. We felt we lived in a real-life Mayberry, in the best sense of the expression. The people were kind, the town was clean, and the opportunities were perfect.

These happy thoughts were percolating while I was out for an early-morning jog, trying to beat the heat one July morning. My usual route took me past the town park where the carnival was setting up in anticipation of a festival that weekend.

Now, I've never spent much time thinking about carnival workers and their lives. I've seen some flicks and heard some stories about the rough life they lead but that was about all I knew. Suddenly, a thought surfaced:  I wonder what they think of our town?

And just as quickly another thought followed. Of course, they know what a lovely town this is, and what nice people we are!

Then, out of nowhere, a third thought stopped me in my tracks. How would they know? What if your town is just another stop to them? Another weekend to make pay?

And finally, What if they didn't even like being here in my town?

Well, I didn't like bothering with such uncomfortable thoughts. After all, I was still a new-comer. What could I do?

I finished my jog and conveniently forgot all about the whole thing…until this past summer when the same thing happened all over again. This time, I listened more closely.

How does one reach out to a carnival worker? What are their needs? What have others done?

Digging deeper, I came across a connection via the internet and soon had the necessary link.
Gathering my courage, I dialed the number and listened closely.

After some chit-chat, I was able to ask the key question, "What do I need to know?"

By the end of our conversation, I had what I needed and more.

Thus, it has begun. I contacted our festival board and the area churches, and in the meantime, I wait, and I pray.

It's scary not knowing what will happen. I can only step out in what I believe to be the path I've been asked to follow.

It seems God has been asking me to do that sort of thing more often lately…do what I am supposed to do and leave the rest to Him.

It's tough letting God do His job. But it's much less work than doing it for Him.   


(Dianna and little family live in the idyllic town of Edgerton, Minnesota. You may enjoy the full article at  https://angelkist.blogspot.com/letting-god-do-his-job.html)

Comments

Popular Posts