Paying the Bills

Paying the Bills
Theology in the Trenches
by Kathleen Kjolhaug

Is it just me? Or has paying the bills turned into an all-day affair these days?

I don’t remember it being like this in days gone by. Balancing the checkbook, paying a few bills dribbling in now and again used to take some time, but not like it does now. Flat out, it’s a time sucker-upper.

Making sense of the statements that arrive on time, automatically consumes much of my time because it’s not automatic for me. I must set plenty of time aside in order to focus.

What started my hissy fit isn’t the fact that I have bills. We live; we pay bills, nothing new with the concept. However, when I opened up one bill this past month, and presidentially combed through each line item, I noted a $25 charge from a particular bookstore. Next to the amount were the words, “Automatic annual membership renewal fee.”

They had charged my credit card in order to renew that which I’d specifically asked them not to during my last visit to said store. Apparently, their automated service was on autopilot, and they automatically took my money without my permission.

Comparatively speaking, there is a difference between “back in the day” and the maneuvering of the money management system of today. When exactly was back in the day? It was precisely the time when you had to sign a statement allowing people to take your money. It was when you said “no” and they didn’t automatically charge you anyway. It was when your money was your money, and not anyone else’s just because you had some and someone else wanted it.

It was the overall principle of the automation operation that bothered me. That amount would have gone unnoticed had I not been diligent in taking the time to look over my bill.

Perhaps I will never go that store again…or…perhaps I will. I haven’t made up my mind yet. But I will tell you one thing, if I do enter, it will be as a customer who will choose when and how to spend my money by not allowing them to automatically take while it’s still mine.

How did I resolve this incident? I called the number that was attached to the statement, and they promised to refund that which they took. Of course, it will take up to thirty days as that, too, is automatic. So, the good news is that while it was mine…it’s apparently still mine…but not quite yet.

I thought it was sort of fun to read 2 Chronicles 20:15 in the middle of my muddled mess. “This is God’s war, not yours. Tomorrow you’ll go after them; see they’re already on their way up the slopes…You won’t have to lift a hand in battle, just stand firm…and watch God’s saving work for you take shape.” 


Stand firm. Watch. The battle is His. It belongs to the Lord.  Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts