With Love, From Grandma

                                        With Love, From Grandma
Theology in the Trenches
by Kathleen Kjolhaug

Dear One,

Of what shall I write? What shall I say that you do not already know deep within?  Words often remind us that we are loved, and of this I want to remind you…that indeed you are…loved. I pray you put it on and wear love well. I pray you not only wear it well but that you, too, will be able to pass it on so that 1000 generations may rise up and call Him blessed (Deut. 7:9).

Into this world, you came, and into this world, you must go for this is your place of ministry. Life is a gift, but sometimes, it won’t always seem as though it is.

If I could take your face into my hands pressing it so that we were nose to nose…I would do so. If I could, I would hold you fast for the rest of your days here on earth. You would then be in my care, within reach, under my supervision, and by all intents and purposes, safe. Yes, you would be kept covered under the wings of my protection, and I would be able to help guard your heart, mind, and soul.

Since that is not possible, perhaps it would be easier if I’d just lay down my life for you. Yes, dying would be a sacrifice worth making for you, dear one. If I could die so you might rise to call Him blessed, I would do that. Absolutely I would give up my life if it meant that sacrificing it would help you to see more clearly how much you are not only loved but valued.

Value…now there is a word worth noting. Pressing the pause button in order to reflect upon this word would be of great value. Since we live within a world that screams anything but, you must know that you are indeed not only valued, but valuable. You see, you were created by the One who is not only able to hold you close, but He is the only one who is able to hold fast (Psalm 37:34).

It’s only when you look into His eyes, not grandma’s that you will be able to see more clearly. If I were the one holding on, I’d merely stifle your growth, but not Him. He allows you to choose this day whom you will serve (Joshua 24:13). He allows you to choose joy (Psalm 65:4) …and to choose the way in which you walk. You see…He gives you freedom.

He gives you the freedom to not only love and be loved but “He who began a good work in you and will bring it to completion” (Phil. 1:6). That is a promise from someone who cannot lie because He alone is the Holy One…who was and is and is to come.

My precious one, pray close attention to the list of dos and don’ts He sent down for guidance. Know that the list wasn’t given in order to suck all the fun out of life. Rather, it is a guide that allows you to give and receive love more authentically because you will know what true love is when you live it well.

Oh, I don’t mean that if you follow the list you won’t have troubles…for He says that in this world you will have troubles (John 16:33). Sometimes we run into troubles because others have fallen short. Sometimes we run into troubles when we fall short. We don’t have much control over others but when we fall short…there is a plan for us to follow. We need only turn to Him and ask forgiveness. He, who is faithful and just will forgive our sins (1John 1:9). He died for sinners. I rest in that. The old has passed away when we ask forgiveness. That’s exactly why He died and grandma doesn’t have to….on a cross that is.

Don’t tell grandpa, but grandma isn’t perfect, and I don’t expect you will be either. I qualify for His love because He came for sinners…not the righteous (Matt. 9:13). I have lived a life that has been perfectly imperfect and that’s how I know all of this is true…cause I’ve leaned in deep...deep into the truths of His Word…His truth.

Pray. When you do, He gives sight to better see things how He sees them and not how you perceive them to be. That is called discernment and that is a cool thing. The best part of that gift is that anyone who prays for it receives it. Wisdom is another gift He promises for all who seek it (2Chron. 1:12). I’d highly recommend asking for that one too cause it’s good stuff…true stuff…forever stuff.

BE STILL and KNOW (Psalm 46:10)…that you are loved, dear one. Put it on and wear it like royalty because you are. Others may tug at your armor, so put on His armor (Eph. 6:13).

You don’t have to know everything in this world, but know there are a few things worth knowing. Know His Word. Know you are forgiven when you confess and turn to the best of your ability. Know you are loved with an everlasting love. You will then be equipped to go, therefore, and live the Gospel.

May Christ hold fast as you hold fast to Him (Heb. 3:14).

Love,   Grandma


P.S. Grandpa agrees. He read it and sealed it with his approval.

Comments

Popular Posts