Looking at the Flip Side

Looking at the Flip Side

Theology in the Trenches

By Kathleen Kjolhaug



I love looking at Christmas catalogs.  Stacking them in a spot or two around the house, I pick one up every so often to see what’s new.  Some things never change.  The L.L.Bean catalog has sported the same flannel shirts and comfortable looking moccasins for the past thirty years.  They must cater to a certain clientele, the more rugged outdoorsy kind.  I consider myself one in the same, and judging by the pine trees and snow in the background, I think most Minnesotan’s would.

Knowing the economy isn’t boasting a boom, their prices are competitive. They carry everyday kind of clothing; mittens, hats, jeans, and turtle necks are all part of the gear offered.  Even though turtle necks have not been a part of my wardrobe for years, I’m tempted to order one just to see what the big deal is.  I figure any company that can sell these year in and year out, must know something that I don’t.  Apparently, I’m the odd one out having ditched mine fifteen years ago.  Maybe I’ll put it on my wish list. (Then again, maybe not.)

Shopping in catalogs is more about the dreaming without actually having to buy any of it.  What’s more, when I pick one up, I can choose something completely different each time I sneak a peek.

Not all catalogs sell common sense items. There are the gadget catalogs, and the latest fad catalogs that are intriguing to look at.  When I’m tempted, I remember the flip side.  In my mind, I picture that neat little contraption I’m in the mood to order, broken, lying in my junk drawer, or in the give-away bag.  When I’m tempted to order one more electronic vice, I ask myself just how much more free time I actually need by purchasing yet another time saving device!  After all, I’m already filling up my twenty-four hour day with forty-eight hours of activities, so I sure don’t need any more ways to help me “save” time.

Tonight, as I pulled out one of the catalogs and sat down near the lighted tree, I heard my husband doing a little reflecting of his own.  It was off the subject which I held in my hand, but still a noteworthy comment about this time of year. “You know, a lot of people are going back to real trees for Christmas.  They’re going green.”

“Really,” I responded. “I thought they’d want to save trees and not cut them down!”

“Oh, no,” he assured me. “They are a renewable resource so that’s why it’s considered green.”

“Well,” I retorted.  “I’m going green this year too.  I’m keeping my green money and using the old artificial tree we already have.”  One less thing I have to order year after year!

While we enjoy this season, help us to be ever mindful of the flip side of our choices.  We pray for wisdom knowing full well that sometimes enough is enough.  May we reflect just a glimmer of Your light in all that we do, in all that we give, in all that we celebrate.  Thank You for a wonderful time of year to be still and know that You alone are God.  Amen. 

Comments

Popular Posts