Load bearing no more...

Take this Cup from Me
Theology in the Trenches
by Kathleen Kjolhaug

The rounded stained glass window reflected how I’d been feeling as of late. This particular depiction of the life of Christ found him at the rock. Elbows upon it, hands clasped, He prayed.
He prayed let this cup pass. He prayed solid, bold, and long into the night. Alone, He prayed. Rumor has it He sweat drops of blood during the deepest of hours.

As a child, I’d made my way into the sanctuary of this very building just to enjoy reflective pause. Years later now, the sun’s rays caught the red robed Jesus praying at the rock about the burden He was carrying. All around this particular morning were parishioners in pensive prayer as well, and I wondered. What was their rock? What were they being asked to carry, live out, or pray about? Were their burdens heavy? Were their burdens light?

A while back, a friend of mine shared. She shared her burden, and when she did, I shared mine. Once it was out of the bag, my load seemed lighter. Giving permission for others to carry our burdens by distributing our sack of rocks was the word picture painted. “It’s like distributing the weight so we can lighten one another’s loads,” she said.

Carrying a sack of rocks around can be heavy work. Looking at our precious Lord sharing his burdens with His heavenly Father exemplified how we can unload our burdens. Going to the rock allows us to pass off our rocks, our burdens, or the loads we carry. It helps in weight distribution. We may even pray likewise. Lord, take this cup from me…but as He gives us things to carry in this world, He will help shoulder it.

Matthew 11:28-30 says, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my Yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

When burdens don’t feel easy or light, when we’d rather have a different sack of rocks to haul around than the ones we’ve been given, perhaps going to the rock to unload a few might be in order.

When we stumble and fall and don’t live up to this call, be gentle. He is. When we want to not only hang on to the rocks but feel like throwing a few, be kind. He is. When we are not able to sit at the Rock because we have difficulty handing it over, be patient. He is. “As far as the east is from the west He remembers our sins no more” (Psalm 103:12). Who are we to remember our shortcomings when they have already been forgiven?


Take the rubble, stubble, and shards of glass. Take the whole conglomeration and lay it down bit by bit. He’s got this. When we can’t, He can.  Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts