A name by any other name would not be LaFerne...

Digging Deep
Theology in the Trenches
by Kathleen Kjolhaug

Her name is LaFerne; she runs a flower shop. What a lovely name to behold in the midst of your calling. She plants, waters, and cares for the beautiful produce produced. Come Spring, it’s a delight to walk into her shop with colors dangling from the rafters.  After the long winter months of fasting from anything but white, the refreshing palate renews energy to overflowing.

“I’m so thankful for what you do and the ministry you offer our little community,” I said to her one day. “I just don’t like getting my fingers all soiled and dirty.” 

She began to explain why getting all soiled up and digging deep was really quite a fun thing to do. I looked at her and realized she thought her explanation of why it was so wonderful would make my brain take a liking to the messy process.

“It’s a texture thing,” I replied. “You know…fingernails and all! I just like to walk in and get them in full bloom without having to dig in.”

I have a name for this. It is called, Someone has to appreciate it!

And so, I appreciate lots in life. I appreciate music by listening to a variety of artists which keep me spellbound rather than learn to play. I appreciate quilts by purchasing them from others who artistically craft them rather than learn it myself. I appreciate produce at farmer’s markets that others have spent months producing. And, I appreciate LaFerne’s flowers come Spring.

Most oft though, life has a way of digging us deep, growing us if you will, whether we want it or not. Seeds sown from the Master Gardener have been planted within, and as life is not a spectator sport, we are rarely allowed to simply sit back without having to do a little digging.

Since the seeds have been sown, sooner or later, they will bear fruit...or not. We will then see more clearly Whose we are and for Whom the seeds were planted in the first place. You know the story well.

“A farmer went out to sow his seed. Some fell along the path, and the birds came and at it up. Some fell on rocky places with little soil. It sprang up quickly because the soil was shallow. But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants. Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop a hundred, sixty, or thirty times what was sown. Whoever has ears, let them hear” (Matthew 13:3-9).


Unstop our ears. Help us see the unseen. Help us not be spectators or merely appreciators of Your Word, but planters...sowers…digging deep. May the texture thing not be a hindrance as we bear fruit, Your fruit, for Your glory.  Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts