Top Six Picks

Top Six
Theology in the Trenches
by Kathleen Kjolhaug

I’ve decided to give you my top six reads as of recent. No rhyme or reason for them, other than my fellow brothers or sisters have exposed me to the authors or directed me to the book, or I saw them reading it, or I was gifted a copy of it.

I love real books, the kind you can hold in your hands, but often they are download through my Kindle app as it’s quicker and easier. So, as I have enjoyed the likes of these; I pray you might find one or two worthy of your time as well.

Be the Gift, by Ann Voskamp. Beautifully and poetically written, she never disappoints. Softly you are given a daily thought or two to tumble about with your own thoughts. It’s reflective in nature, the photographs within beautifully illustrate the message, and it’s a nibbler. You read, reflect, put it down and pick it up as you feel the nudge.

Love Does, by Bob Goff. Each story is written is stand alone. Funny stuff…life changing stuff. He applies biblical concepts to the real world and tells personal life stories. Did I say his writing is funny? I laughed so hard rereading one of his stories to my kids, they were laughing with me before they even heard the words. I bought a copy for my husband and my own dad for Father’s Day. I haven’t checked with my dad yet, but my husband has thoroughly enjoyed it. Rumor has it he has a sequel and that it is every bit as good.

Left to Tell, by Immaculee Ilibagiza. It’s a true story of Immaculee who survives the Rwandan genocide. It is incomprehensible that anything like this could happen and that anyone could live to tell about it. It invites and encourages you in your own faith journey. We are privileged to be living upon this earth at the same time as she…for such a time as this.

The Book of Forgiving, by Desmond Tutu and Mpho Tutu. After South Africa became its own nation, would it implode and self-destruct? Or, could there be a better way to find peace and restoration within? This book is for the individual who desires to go, therefore, and live the Gospel. This model will give tools to anyone in any stage on the road to forgiveness. I learned that forgiveness is not the same as reconciliation. I hung onto a stone for several hours to know what it feels like in order to finally release that which I clung to so tightly…unforgiveness. I learned that if a whole nation can be restored one heart at a time, then so too, can our hearts be changed with the holiness of what forgiveness offers. Knowing it is one thing. Putting it into practice with the tools this book offers is something else altogether. A read you may owe yourself.

Nectar in a Sieve, by Kamala Markandaya. This book was recommended to me by our oldest son. It was a required read for him by one of his professors at Wheaton College. I like reading books recommended by my adult children. It expands my thought process to better understand how theirs is being expanded as well. This novel is small but will do big things within. It embeds a picture of what poverty brings to the lives of our brothers and sisters in countries near and far, and how compassion instead of judgment must be the staying power that unites in understanding why people sometimes do what they do. One of my all-time favorites.

Holy Bible, Ephesians 3:4 says. “By referring to this, when you read you can understand my insight into the mystery of Christ.” And may you each, be blessed by His Word.


Blessings as you perhaps ponder a pick or two or three.  Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts